Address609 W. Young St. #2, Llano, TX 78643

AddressBurnet - By Appointment Only


Llano Fathers' Rights Attorney

Brown County child custody attorney for fathers' rights

Lawyer Representing Fathers in Paternity and Child Custody Cases in Llano County and San Saba County

Fathers play an important role in their children's lives, and children deserve to have a relationship with both parents, regardless of whether a mother and father are married, unmarried, or divorced. In many cases, fathers are concerned about their ability to maintain close contact with their children following divorce, or they may be unsure about how matters related to child custody will be handled if they are not married to their child's mother. To protect their parental rights, fathers will want to work with an experienced family law attorney.

At the Law Office of Russ Alan Baker, PLLC, we work with fathers to address legal issues related to paternity and child custody, ensuring that they will be able to be closely involved in their children's lives. Attorney Russ Baker has over 16 years of experience in family law, and as an aggressive litigator, he is dedicated to fighting for his clients' rights. He can make sure fathers take the right steps to resolve legal disputes effectively while protecting their children's best interests.

Fathers' Rights in Texas Family Law Cases

The laws in Texas take a gender-neutral approach to child-related issues, and neither the mother nor the father is assumed to be the parent who can best provide for children's needs. In fact, the law presumes that it is in children's best interests for parents to be named as joint managing conservators and share legal custody of their children. This means that the parents will both have the right and responsibility to make major decisions about how children should be raised, including addressing matters related to education and healthcare.

A father will usually be able to share legal custody of a child if he can show that he had been involved in child-rearing in the past, that he can encourage the child to maintain a positive relationship with the mother, and that he will be able to provide for the child's physical and emotional needs and development. When establishing an order for joint managing conservatorship, one parent will be given the exclusive right to determine the child's primary residence, although that parent may be restricted to living within a certain geographical area to ensure that the child will remain close to the other parent. The order will also specify each parent's rights and duties regarding the child, including providing physical care and making decisions about health and education.

In some situations, a court may determine that sole managing conservatorship by one parent would be appropriate. However, even if a mother is awarded sole legal custody of a child, the father will usually be named a possessory conservator, which will give him the right to spend reasonable amounts of time with the child, access the child's medical and educational records, attend the child's activities, and participate in making decisions about the child's education, health, and welfare.

Texas law describes a standard possession order that details the minimum amount of time that a child may live with a parent who is a possessory conservator. Under this type of order, children may spend time with a parent on the first, third, and fifth weekend of every month from Friday evening to Sunday evening, as well as during the evenings every Thursday during the school year. While this represents the minimum amount of visitation time that a father may be able to spend with his children, other arrangements may be made depending on the family's circumstances and the children's needs.

Contact Our Fredericksburg Fathers' Rights Lawyer

Whether you are a father who is going through a divorce or an unmarried parent who needs to address issues related to paternity, child custody, and child support, the Law Office of Russ Alan Baker, PLLC can help you understand and protect your rights. Attorney Baker will advocate on your behalf and help you find solutions that will protect your children's best interests. Contact us today at 325-216-2006 to set up a consultation. We represent fathers in family law cases in Central Texas, including Blanco County, San Saba County, Mills County, Fredericksburg, Blanco, Marble Falls, Brown County, Burnet, Johnson City, Gillespie County, Lampasas County, Llano County, Burnet County, Mason County, Bertram, Llano, and San Saba.

Back to Top