Address609 W. Young St. #2, Llano, TX 78643

AddressBurnet - By Appointment Only

Free Consultations


Fredericksburg, TX Child Custody Attorney

Fredericksburg, Texas child custody and visitation attorney

Lawyer for Conservatorship and Possession of Children in Fredericksburg Family Law Cases

Modern families come in many different forms, and there are a variety of situations where a child's parents do not live together. In these cases, parents will need to determine how to address custody of their children. By establishing legal orders that detail parental rights and responsibilities and specify when children will live in each parent's home, parents can make sure they will be able to work together to provide for their children's needs. When addressing child custody issues, it is important for a parent to get legal help from an attorney who can advise them of their options and help them address their children's best interests.

The Law Office of Russ Alan Baker, PLLC works to ensure that parents can address child custody issues effectively. Throughout his more than 16 years of experience, Attorney Russ Baker has represented parents in a wide variety of family law cases. He works with parents to address child custody in divorce cases and situations involving unmarried couples, and he also provides representation for families in cases involving Child Protective Services.

Child Custody Cases in Fredericksburg, Texas

When a child's parents are splitting up or do not live together, they will need to address both legal and physical custody. Legal custody refers to parents' rights and responsibilities when making major decisions about their children's lives, and it is known as conservatorship in Texas. Most of the time, joint managing conservatorship will be appropriate, and in these situations, parents will share the responsibility of making decisions about children's healthcare, education, and other important issues. If parents will be unable to work together to raise their children, or if the court determines that it would not be appropriate for one parent to have legal custody, sole managing conservatorship may be granted to one parent.

Physical custody or possession refers to the time that children spend in each parent's care. While parents may have joint managing conservatorship, this does not necessarily mean that children will spend equal amounts of time in each parent's home. In most cases, children will live primarily with one parent while still spending time with the other parent on a regular basis. When children are in one parent's possession, that parent will have the right to make decisions about their immediate care, as well as any emergency decisions that are necessary. They will also be required to provide children with care and supervision to ensure that their needs are being met.

Even if one parent will have sole managing conservatorship of children, the non-custodial parent will typically be able to have the children stay with them regularly as a possessory conservator. There may be some situations where a parent's physical custody may be restricted, such as in cases involving domestic abuse. Under Texas law, a standard possession order may be created in which children will stay with a possessory conservator. Under these orders, children will stay with the non-custodial parent every first, third, and fifth weekend of the month, beginning on Friday evening and ending on Sunday evening. The non-custodial parent will also be able to spend time with children on Thursday evenings each week. While this type of possession order serves as a minimum standard for the time that children may be in the possession of a non-custodial parent, parents may agree on other types of child custody orders that fit their family's needs.

Contact a Fredericksburg Child Custody Lawyer

If you are a parent who is getting divorced or need to address child custody as an unmarried parent, we will advise you of your options as you work to negotiate agreements that will meet your family's needs. To set up a free consultation and get legal help with child-related issues, contact us at 325-216-2006.

Back to Top